Welcome to April! We are making slow progress on the site upgrade and hope to start really rolling on it as summer approaches.
So let’s get to member news!
What Nonsense has just reached its 200th page! To celebrate, Caitlin has uploaded a special donation desktop wallpaper. You can download the wallpaper here!
Terra hit 300 pages and it’s 6th anniversary on March 20th. It also hit our $100 milestone on Patreon this month.
What it Takes starts chapter 19! Time for some rip-roaring, bloody adventure! Rated R.
Malaak, Angel of Peace is updating on a regular weekly schedule again, for the run-up to the story’s epic conclusion which is coming up fast…
dream*scar is going on an indefinite hiatus while Heather recovers from a wrist injury. But no worries, it’ll be back as soon as she’s better!
Starting May 7, Lasalle’s Legacy will be on hiatus while Jen goes on maternity leave. She estimates the hiatus will be about six months. Check the LaSalle’s Legacy website in November 2015 for more details as to when and how the comic will be updating after the hiatus. See everyone then!
To help celebrate the pending release of Gemutations: Mercenaries and Angels, there will be a special promotion!
Kickstarters, Books and Other Promotions
For a limited time, Gemutations: Plague Kindle Edition will be available for $0.99 from April 1st-8th in the US and L 0.99 in the UK! Compliment your Second Edition of M&A with it’s sequel for an amazingly low price!
That’s right for as little as $5 you can get both M&A and Plague on Kindle!
April First! Mark your calendars!
Sombulus will be launching on Kickstarter April 16th! Grab Book 1 to start your world-hopping adventure or the all-new Book 2, which features the thrilling conclusion of the Tirani arc!
That looks like it for now! Stay tuned for more news!
Commissions, Kickstarters and Patreons
Gemutations: Mercenaries and Angels – 10th Anniversary Edition
April first will mark the release of the 10th anniversary edition of Gemutations: Mercenaries and Angels by our very own Tigershark06 (AKA Darwin)! Heavily revised and edited, the 2nd edition of the book is nearly twice the length of the original! It will be available on Kindle through Amazon and in Print through Createspace and Amazon!
Rejoin Tigershark, a gemue (genetically mutated human), as he tries to complete a contract for an information saboteur, only to find that the mark is one slippery fish! He comes to find things aren’t always what they seem on the surface!
Keep an eye out for updates on Darwin’s Author Page!
SpiderForest Invades Dream*Scar!
Hchano has been featuring a ton of fun community cameos in the latest scene of dream*scar, and we’re loving it! Can you find your favorite characters in the crowd from Damsels Don’t Wear Glasses, Lapse, The Sundown Boys, LaSalle’s Legacy, Sombulus, The Only Half Saga, Altar Girl, Bedlam Genesis, Bad Moon Rising, and From the Machine?
The Only Half Saga and Gemutations: Plague move to bi-weekly schedule
Due to life, both TOHS and Plague will be moving to a bi-weekly schedule.
This began Monday, March 2nd, with TOHS’s update and will run each Monday for the foreseeable future (next week will be Plague, TOHS the following etc). This is, hopefully, temporary and normal weekly updates will resume over the summer. Darwin apologizes for this, but she’s struggling to keep up.
Thanks for reading, everyone!
<_< >_> Where’d January go? For that matter where did December go? We’re into the second month of 2015? WHAT?
Apologies for not getting news out to you guys in January, things have been busy.
Major Spiderforest News
You may have noticed the time for Application has come and gone for the winter. There is a very valid reason for that.
This marvelous collective of comic creators has decided that our hubsite here at SpiderForest.com needs a facelift, pronto! We are in the process of redesigning the site to better reflect our commitment to maintaining this community. When this project is complete, we will once again accept applications for those seeking to join us. We apologize for the late announcement in this regard, and ask for your patience as we go about this project. Remember, this collective is organized and maintained purely on a volunteer basis, and while we are extremely proud of this legacy, sometimes it means important projects like our hubsite upgrade can take some time as schedules are rearranged around individual careers. Check back soon to see the changes!
Patreon, Kickstarter, and other Fundraiser News
Sombulus Act 5 starts January 22! To see behind-the-scenes progress shots, sneak peeks of future pages, and news about Christina’s other projects, check out her new Patreon page!
Hiatus’s and Returns
MoonSlayer will have a small break after the end of chapter 4 (and volume 1). In this time the first pages will be corrected and prepared for the 1st book printing. Meanwhile you can check its Patreon page, where the new pages, art and other stuff will be posted before the new release.
The Sundown Boys is back from hiatus! It actually happened midway through December but I missed the news haha. Resuming once a week updates, every Monday!
Star Cross’d Destiny is back from break and posting weekly. The comic’s brand new soundtrack is available to stream on the website and will be available for purchase in late January.
Avernyght has been cancelled and will be redone in book form at a later date, Bad Moon Rising will continue as scheduled, though.
Spiderforest Creators in Publishing!
MVMARCZ has just published her first novel, The Seamstress and the Sable Knight. Information can be found at http://www.marysneddon.com
What it Takes reaches 500 pages in January, with only 3 more chapters until the conclusion of the story.
LaSalle’s Legacy Chapter 19 started January 27th. Does Weatherby finally have the upper hand this time?
Welcome to December 2014. Wait, what? The year’s almost up already? Holy Cow! With that we have a lot of news to cover for the Forest so let’s get to it shall we?
Kickstarter, Patreon, and Other Campaigning News
The Chirault Kickstarter has wrapped up successfully, and Volume 1 is on the way! For anyone who missed the campaign and wants a book, you can sign up for the mailing list to receive a notice when it becomes available for order.
Soul to Call is now part of the Tapastic Support Program! Now YOU can aid in the creation of Soul to Call with as little as 1$ a month, all while earning yourself some neat rewards in return! Find out more about supporting Soul to Call here!
Anniversaries and Milestones!
Arc 17 of What it Takes wraps up on December 10th, when an all new downloadable story will become available! Find out what Whizard Marlin has been up to under King Arthur’s employ.
Soul to Call is beginning its second chapter this month. Additionally, the comic will be celebrating its one-year anniversary on December 16th!
Sombulus is wrapping up Act 4 on December 2 and will be taking a holiday break to prepare for Act 5, the Sombulus Book 2 Kickstarter, and lots of new projects in 2015. Keep in touch over the break by following her new Patreon blog and show your support! And look for the return of Sombulus in January!
Kaspall will be starting it’s final chapter this December. Head over to see the conclusion of a story that has been running for nine and a half years! There is a rumour there may be free booze involved …
Red Clause announces that Damsels Don’t Wear Glasses is back from hiatus and updating weekly again! Check it out at: DDWG is BACK
Here’s hoping that all of our creators and our readers have a safe and happy holiday season! Thanks to all for supporting our community and our comics!
- Chirault Book 1 is now on Kickstarter now through November 25, featuring the first 160 pages of the epic fantasy story! Go pledge your support and get it and other goodies!
- Christina Major of Sombulus is being featured in the Kidthulhu: Tales of Madness anthology project, now on Kickstarter through November 14! Donate now and get her exclusive Kidthulhu bookmark.
School Spirit commemorates 1500 strips
As of October 28, School Spirit has reached its 1500th strip with the last of a ten strip story line where the kids look back and remember various events from the past archives. This doubles as a retrospective on the earlier artwork of the strip at the same time.
Gemutations: Plague and The Only Half Saga return!
Tigershark announces Gemutations: Plague and The Only Half Saga will be resuming updates on November 10th and 13th respectively. She hopes you’ll join her as things heat up in both story lines!
The SpiderForest Comic of the Week continues!
Forbidden magic and technology of the high seas, the deepest forests, distant planes and darkest futures take the stage as we continue Comic of the Week throughout the SpiderForest. Look more more information about these awesome comics on your favorite SpiderForest sites!
Featured in November will be:
LaSalle’s Legacy, Chirault, Stargazer’s Gate, From the Machine, Soul to Call
Fall is officially here, and we’ve got some great news from the SpiderForest for October!
The SpiderForest Comic of the Week promotion is underway!
This fun introduction to 13 SpiderForest comics in 13 weeks spans from comics old and new, fantasy to post-apocalypse, humor to drama! It’s a great way to learn about new webcomics for your reading list.
Featured in October:
Supervillainous, Sombulus, Star Cross’d Destiny, Lapse, Sunset Grill
- Christina Major from Sombulus (table 208) and Lily Aguilar from Dark White (table 305) will be at Alternative Press Expo in San Francisco, CA on October 4 and 5! Stop by and say hello!
- We had a blast at Small Press Expo 2014! Thank you to everyone who came by the SpiderForest booth! Stay tuned for more convention appearances by our members!
Well now! September is upon us! Things are rolling right along and the horizon looks bright with the collective. Lots coming up!
Mary Sneddon) other comic Bad Moon Rising joined Spider Forest on August 8th! It is written by K.A. Maples
August 15th marked the start of dream*scar’s hiatus for an [as of yet] undetermined amount of time, so that Heather can meet some deadlines and hopefully finally set up d*s Vol 1 for print and possibly a kickstarter! If you have facebook, you can like the d*s facebook page — and to ensure you don’t miss important posts about the comic’s return [or the possible kickstarter :'D], you can enable notifications, or you can follow Heather on Twitter.
MoonSlayer is back from the summer hiatus, with a new Patreon page and new goodies + exclusive prints in the store.
Zukahnaut is now available on ComiXology, with both stories from the web and exclusive content to come!
Tigershark is currently promoting her pending release of a short story collection for the Only Half Universe called Tales from the Dead Zone by showing previews of the art her friends created to head the various stories – each image is accompanied by a synopsis of the story. You can find them each Sunday at The Only Half Saga
Altar Girl is back to regular updates post-Kickstarter! Kickstarter rewards will be mailed out throughout the month and everything should be tidied up by October. Backers, and those who missed the Kickstarter but are interested in a copy of Book 1, can pick up their goodies at the SPX table where Kata will be along with the rest of the SpiderForest crew.
After a nearly two-year hiatus, the creators of the sci-fi/fantasy digital graphic novel Panthera,, we are pleased to announce that the series is returning to regular weekly updates starting on Friday, September 19, 2014!
We hope you enjoy the series as it continues forward!
Nick Perkins will be tabling at Salt Lake Comic Con, Sept 4-6, booth Black 32. I’ll be debuting the first print edition of [i]Cooties[/i], and selling sketches.
Small Press Expo (SPX) is September 13-14th and Spiderforest is going to have a STRONG presence this year! Confirmed attendees: Christina Major (sombulus.com), Kat Feete (sunsetgrillcomic.com), Eric Menge (snowbynight.com), Christopher Paulsen (precociouscomic.com), Jennifer Zyren Smith (lasalleslegacy.com), Kata Kane (altar-girl.com), and Blair B. (starcrossd.net)! Not only that but many other members have put together a book of prints! You can preview and order in advance at Spider Forest Storefront
That’s all for now, will add more if more comes to my attention! Tigershark out!
Wow so many things happened in the month of July! A joyous return of many of our comic creators, our application season went off without a hitch (and so many great applications!), and a rise in activity across the board!
(UPDATED NEWS IS DENOTED BY ***)
It’s official! Congratulations and welcome to our eight newest member comics!
- Altar Girl by Kata Kane “Ashley Altars has a major crush on Adam Evenine, one of the most popular boys in school. She also unwittingly holds one of the two keys to Heaven and Earth! The owner of the other key is a guy named Seth Charming, who has been dead since the late 1920s, but has been brought back to life by the heavenly “Gemini Twins” Sera & Cherry. Life is tough for the Altar Girl.”
- From the Machine by Felix (AKA Duskglass) “A runaway supersoldier and a lady bard go on adventures with a snarky pilot; a weird guy who talks to trees finds a lost kid on a battlefield and ends up taking care of him. On their journeys they encounter assassins, toxic forests, draconic airships, and a search for a mythical land.”
- Moonslayer by Monica “When Syrma discovers that she is the victim of a curse that will end her life, she intends to change her fate. For this she must destroy the goddess who condemned her… and time is running out.”
- Soul to Call by Rommie “The Fall devastated earth, leaving the ruins infested by abominations and the occult. Surrounded by danger and insanity, there’s only two things on a young courier’s mind: family, and survival.”
- Star Cross’d Destiny by Blair “Star Cross’d Destiny is focused around five misfit young adults in New Orleans who are cursed/blessed with supernatural powers. The controllor of Air, Juno, is a smartass alcholic with anger issues who has a rap sheet ten miles long, is wanted by the police and the Cajun mafia, and can’t seem to keep her nose out of trouble.”
- Terra by Holly and Drew “Terra follows a group of characters who band together to stop a devastating interplanetary war.
- Zukahnaut by Otty “After years of hiding on Earth a lonely alien finally reveals himself. Can Zukah fight his own nature to redeem a wasted life?”
- Ianua by Amanda and Julie “A young man named Janus lies at the center of web of fate that connects them all. His encounter with a unbound demon will bring about a series of trials, dangers and magic that has not been seen in centuries.”
Take a look and give em some love!! Once again Congratulations and welcome to the forest!
Member News for August
- On August 4th, Sunset Grill by Katfeete celebrates six years of sci-fi flavored gang wars, skeevy political deals, and the people who get drunk and complain about all of it. We’re not sure celebrate is the right word here….
Going on Haitus(Awww)
- The Sundown Boys by EmmaTSDB will be on Hiatus through the month of August. Sad Face
Hiatus Returns! (YAY!!)
- The Revolution will be having a fan-art contest beginning August 1st and running until mid-late September. For contest winners we will be offering free commissions…. since we are sad and broke students and can only offer our art skills haha. More details to come… check out the forum for rules!
Support Your Local Comic Creator!
- What it Takes by KEZ has its own Patreon! If goals are met, ads disappear, extra pages get published, new short stories get drawn, AND all donors get access to What it Takes pages early. And let’s not forget, donate $5 or more and you get a portrait drawn!
- Sombulus Book 1 by Delphina is now available for purchase for everyone who missed the Kickstarter! And there are a VERY LIMITED NUMBER of Tirani World Guides left, too. Head on over to and grab a copy before they’re gone!
- Congratulations to Robin of Leylines on the successful backing of her Kickstarter! Not only did she make her goal she also reached her stretch goal as well!!
- ***Altar Girl – Book 1 was successfully funded on Kickstarter and met all 3 stretch goals! Kata is aiming to have books available for Baltimore Comic Con & SPX, and all rewards should be going out in October!
- ***Spider Forest will be attending Small Press Expo in September! Follow us for more news about who will be there!
Want your webcomic to be part of the Spider Forest collective? Now is your chance! We are now applications for Self-Hosted Comics interested in becoming a part of our community!
Please check out the Application Page for the rules and the process to apply! If you have questions please be sure to check out the Spider Forest Forums or follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more announcements.
Bring your art to the Dead Zone!
Would you like to see your art in a published novel?? Would you jump at the chance to read a story from The Only Half Saga: Tales from the Dead Zone (Vol 1) before anyone else? Then take a look at the Dead Zone Promotion on the SpiderForest forums (July 1- Aug. 15)!
More Member News
- Evus celebrated its first anniversary June 25!
- LaSalle’s Legacy has returned from its break and the swashbuckling chapter 17 has now begun! Can Jonathan and Jared fight their way out of this one?
- What it Takes also returned from vacation and launches into Arc 16 – First Contact. It’s the beginning of the end!
- And a warm welcome back to The Revolution, returning July 17th after an extended break!
- The LeyLines Book 3 Kickstarter fires up this month! Go support Robin to get your copy and make it happen!
- Congrats to the Monster Anthology Kickstarter, which just successfully funded! See dream*scar‘s Heather Meade’s gorgeous contribution to the SFW version on her Tumblr.
- Chirault has met its first milestone in its Patreon campaign, and is now being updated 3 times a week!
This is a test… this is only a test.
No not really! Hello there and welcome to June 2014! I am going to make this announcement early because I want to test my ability to update the blog for the website and also to make an announcement!
Spiderforest Application Season!
It has in fact been a while since the last time we accepted applications and we all think it’s more than time we have another! So starting July 1st through the 24th, 2014 the collective will be accepting applications for Self-Hosted Comics interested in becoming a part of our community.
Please check out the Application Page for the rules and the process to apply! If you have questions please be sure to check out the Spider Forest Forums! See what we’re all about ask us questions! Hope to see you around the boards.
Member News for June
Member Comic Anniversaries!
- Back on May 10th Sombulus by Delphina turned 4 years old!
- Back on May 28th Dream*Scar by Hchano turned 5 years old!
- Sylvia’s “Think Before You Think” Turns 5 years old on June 12th!
- Dutch’s “School Spirit” also turns 10 on June 12th!
- Kaspall by Lucy Lyall turns 9 years old this month!
- The Only Half Saga by Tigershark06 turns 8 years old this month!