Well now! September is upon us! Things are rolling right along and the horizon looks bright with the collective. Lots coming up!
Mary Sneddon) other comic Bad Moon Rising joined Spider Forest on August 8th! It is written by K.A. Maples
August 15th marked the start of dream*scar’s hiatus for an [as of yet] undetermined amount of time, so that Heather can meet some deadlines and hopefully finally set up d*s Vol 1 for print and possibly a kickstarter! If you have facebook, you can like the d*s facebook page — and to ensure you don’t miss important posts about the comic’s return [or the possible kickstarter :'D], you can enable notifications, or you can follow Heather on Twitter.
MoonSlayer is back from the summer hiatus, with a new Patreon page and new goodies + exclusive prints in the store.
Zukahnaut is now available on ComiXology, with both stories from the web and exclusive content to come!
Tigershark is currently promoting her pending release of a short story collection for the Only Half Universe called Tales from the Dead Zone by showing previews of the art her friends created to head the various stories – each image is accompanied by a synopsis of the story. You can find them each Sunday at The Only Half Saga
Altar Girl is back to regular updates post-Kickstarter! Kickstarter rewards will be mailed out throughout the month and everything should be tidied up by October. Backers, and those who missed the Kickstarter but are interested in a copy of Book 1, can pick up their goodies at the SPX table where Kata will be along with the rest of the SpiderForest crew.
After a nearly two-year hiatus, the creators of the sci-fi/fantasy digital graphic novel Panthera,, we are pleased to announce that the series is returning to regular weekly updates starting on Friday, September 19, 2014!
We hope you enjoy the series as it continues forward!
Nick Perkins will be tabling at Salt Lake Comic Con, Sept 4-6, booth Black 32. I’ll be debuting the first print edition of [i]Cooties[/i], and selling sketches.
Small Press Expo (SPX) is September 13-14th and Spiderforest is going to have a STRONG presence this year! Confirmed attendees: Christina Major (sombulus.com), Kat Feete (sunsetgrillcomic.com), Eric Menge (snowbynight.com), Christopher Paulsen (precociouscomic.com), Jennifer Zyren Smith (lasalleslegacy.com), Kata Kane (altar-girl.com), and Blair B. (starcrossd.net)! Not only that but many other members have put together a book of prints! You can preview and order in advance at Spider Forest Storefront
That’s all for now, will add more if more comes to my attention! Tigershark out!
Wow so many things happened in the month of July! A joyous return of many of our comic creators, our application season went off without a hitch (and so many great applications!), and a rise in activity across the board!
(UPDATED NEWS IS DENOTED BY ***)
It’s official! Congratulations and welcome to our eight newest member comics!
- Altar Girl by Kata Kane “Ashley Altars has a major crush on Adam Evenine, one of the most popular boys in school. She also unwittingly holds one of the two keys to Heaven and Earth! The owner of the other key is a guy named Seth Charming, who has been dead since the late 1920s, but has been brought back to life by the heavenly “Gemini Twins” Sera & Cherry. Life is tough for the Altar Girl.”
- From the Machine by Felix (AKA Duskglass) “A runaway supersoldier and a lady bard go on adventures with a snarky pilot; a weird guy who talks to trees finds a lost kid on a battlefield and ends up taking care of him. On their journeys they encounter assassins, toxic forests, draconic airships, and a search for a mythical land.”
- Moonslayer by Monica “When Syrma discovers that she is the victim of a curse that will end her life, she intends to change her fate. For this she must destroy the goddess who condemned her… and time is running out.”
- Soul to Call by Rommie “The Fall devastated earth, leaving the ruins infested by abominations and the occult. Surrounded by danger and insanity, there’s only two things on a young courier’s mind: family, and survival.”
- Star Cross’d Destiny by Blair “Star Cross’d Destiny is focused around five misfit young adults in New Orleans who are cursed/blessed with supernatural powers. The controllor of Air, Juno, is a smartass alcholic with anger issues who has a rap sheet ten miles long, is wanted by the police and the Cajun mafia, and can’t seem to keep her nose out of trouble.”
- Terra by Holly and Drew “Terra follows a group of characters who band together to stop a devastating interplanetary war.
- Zukahnaut by Otty “After years of hiding on Earth a lonely alien finally reveals himself. Can Zukah fight his own nature to redeem a wasted life?”
- Ianua by Amanda and Julie “A young man named Janus lies at the center of web of fate that connects them all. His encounter with a unbound demon will bring about a series of trials, dangers and magic that has not been seen in centuries.”
Take a look and give em some love!! Once again Congratulations and welcome to the forest!
Member News for August
- On August 4th, Sunset Grill by Katfeete celebrates six years of sci-fi flavored gang wars, skeevy political deals, and the people who get drunk and complain about all of it. We’re not sure celebrate is the right word here….
Going on Haitus(Awww)
- The Sundown Boys by EmmaTSDB will be on Hiatus through the month of August. Sad Face
Hiatus Returns! (YAY!!)
- The Revolution will be having a fan-art contest beginning August 1st and running until mid-late September. For contest winners we will be offering free commissions…. since we are sad and broke students and can only offer our art skills haha. More details to come… check out the forum for rules!
Support Your Local Comic Creator!
- What it Takes by KEZ has its own Patreon! If goals are met, ads disappear, extra pages get published, new short stories get drawn, AND all donors get access to What it Takes pages early. And let’s not forget, donate $5 or more and you get a portrait drawn!
- Sombulus Book 1 by Delphina is now available for purchase for everyone who missed the Kickstarter! And there are a VERY LIMITED NUMBER of Tirani World Guides left, too. Head on over to and grab a copy before they’re gone!
- Congratulations to Robin of Leylines on the successful backing of her Kickstarter! Not only did she make her goal she also reached her stretch goal as well!!
- ***Altar Girl – Book 1 was successfully funded on Kickstarter and met all 3 stretch goals! Kata is aiming to have books available for Baltimore Comic Con & SPX, and all rewards should be going out in October!
- ***Spider Forest will be attending Small Press Expo in September! Follow us for more news about who will be there!
Want your webcomic to be part of the Spider Forest collective? Now is your chance! We are now applications for Self-Hosted Comics interested in becoming a part of our community!
Please check out the Application Page for the rules and the process to apply! If you have questions please be sure to check out the Spider Forest Forums or follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more announcements.
Bring your art to the Dead Zone!
Would you like to see your art in a published novel?? Would you jump at the chance to read a story from The Only Half Saga: Tales from the Dead Zone (Vol 1) before anyone else? Then take a look at the Dead Zone Promotion on the SpiderForest forums (July 1- Aug. 15)!
More Member News
- Evus celebrated its first anniversary June 25!
- LaSalle’s Legacy has returned from its break and the swashbuckling chapter 17 has now begun! Can Jonathan and Jared fight their way out of this one?
- What it Takes also returned from vacation and launches into Arc 16 – First Contact. It’s the beginning of the end!
- And a warm welcome back to The Revolution, returning July 17th after an extended break!
- The LeyLines Book 3 Kickstarter fires up this month! Go support Robin to get your copy and make it happen!
- Congrats to the Monster Anthology Kickstarter, which just successfully funded! See dream*scar‘s Heather Meade’s gorgeous contribution to the SFW version on her Tumblr.
- Chirault has met its first milestone in its Patreon campaign, and is now being updated 3 times a week!
This is a test… this is only a test.
No not really! Hello there and welcome to June 2014! I am going to make this announcement early because I want to test my ability to update the blog for the website and also to make an announcement!
Spiderforest Application Season!
It has in fact been a while since the last time we accepted applications and we all think it’s more than time we have another! So starting July 1st through the 24th, 2014 the collective will be accepting applications for Self-Hosted Comics interested in becoming a part of our community.
Please check out the Application Page for the rules and the process to apply! If you have questions please be sure to check out the Spider Forest Forums! See what we’re all about ask us questions! Hope to see you around the boards.
Member News for June
Member Comic Anniversaries!
- Back on May 10th Sombulus by Delphina turned 4 years old!
- Back on May 28th Dream*Scar by Hchano turned 5 years old!
- Sylvia’s “Think Before You Think” Turns 5 years old on June 12th!
- Dutch’s “School Spirit” also turns 10 on June 12th!
- Kaspall by Lucy Lyall turns 9 years old this month!
- The Only Half Saga by Tigershark06 turns 8 years old this month!
SpiderForest’s news for the fall! All applicants have been notified and here is our new roster of fine comics, hand-picked for your enjoyment! Read and enjoy them at your leisure.
Damsels Don’t Wear Glasses
The Sundown Boys
If you missed application season this time around we invite you to join our forums and hang out until next time and in the meantime, enjoy the new comics. Further member news below!
What it Takes reached 350 pages! The story is slated for completion in early 2015. Kez is also only sending out invites to the private Google Drive containing novel version of The War of Winds until the end of 2013, when that comic will be ending. So if you want to read that story, go to her site and send her an emailing saying so! For those who don’t want to read it but still want to know how it ends, remember that Kez will be posting a synopsis at the end of Chapter 10.
Thank you for all who participated in the TOHS: Redemption Fan Art Contest! Judges have their work cut out for them! I should have the Winners will be announced September 12th (With the posting of that week’s comic filler!). Prizes to be awarded as soon as I receive the order of Redemption’s Books!
Speaking of Redemption! The novel is due to be published October FIRST! Read Before the Fall and wanted to know what became of Cabal after he left Corea? Well here’s your chance! Be on the lookout! Updates forthcoming!
Additionally! To celebrate the release of the book, the week prior to the release of the new novel the Kindle version of the “Before the Fall” will be available for FREE! That’s right September 23 through the 30th 2013 tyou can pick up your free electronic copy of Before the Fall and whet your appetite for the sequel story!
Your favorite SpiderForest creators are invading Small Press Expo on September 14-15! Meet Kat of Sunset Grill, Varethane of Chirault, and Eric of Snow by Night at the official Spider Forest table (W22B), Chrispy of Precocious (A8), and Jen of LaSalle’s Legacy (B12). Come by and say hello!
Tiana has started a brand new comic called Stargazer’s Gate which will be updating Tuesday and Friday starting this Tuesday! Be sure to tune in on the 9th for the first official update and in the interim, read the first six pages.
We’ve got the big SpiderForest news you’ve all been waiting for: we’re accepting applications this August, from August 1-24, after which applications will be voted on by our members. If you’re interested in the opportunity to be a member of the SpiderForest webcomic collective, check out the application page for more details, join the forum and ask any pressing questions, and most importantly: get your application in before the final week of August! We can’t wait to read your comic!
Would you like to see your art in The Only Half Saga: Redemption when it comes out in October? I am currently holding a TOHS Fan Art Contest running from now until September 1st! All entries will be published with the novel, plus there are prizes for the top three entries! Check out the rules and guidelines here: http://theonlyhalfsaga.com/comic/2013/07/18 or here: http://tigershark06.deviantart.com/jour … -383975748
Sunset Grill ( http://www.sunsetgrillcomic.com ) will turn five on August 4th! Thank you to all the folks who think over four hundred pages of science fiction barflies is worth a read.
The Spiderforest Webcomic Collective will have a table at the Small Press Expo ( http://www.spexpo.com ) this year! The Expo is in Bethesda, MD on September 14-15th. It’s our first time trying the convention scene as a collective, so if you’re in the area, drop by and see us!
dream*scar is off of hiatus!
Got tablet/e-reader? The first chapter of Twilight Lady is available as a free digital comic from Amazon.com and Drivethrucomics.com.
And the ongoing Twilight Lady webcomic has a new artist beginning with the latest chapter.
January news! We’re not dead. Due to shenanigans involving all the SpiderForest admins being busy at once, admission season has been delayed! Potential applicants are welcome to join the forum and hang around. Happy new year.
School Spirit will reach it’s 1,250th regular strip on January 22nd. That’s a thousand strips and a quarter of the next thousand. That’s… bloody ridiculous for something I knew I didn’t have the time for…
Gemutations: Plague has started it’s latest chapter “A Wrench in the Works”. Bull should have known that Blue, being Tigershark’s daughter, would be more than capable of holding a grudge! What her plans are will unfold as the chapter progresses…so stay tuned!
Late January will herald the next chapter in “Of Dhampirs and Warlocks” for TOHS. “Playing With Fire” brings about the return of familiar faces and a conflict between old and new cast members!
Cetiya has tentatively begun updating again. Huzzah? Posting frequency will vary depending work schedule, so feel free to check in every now and again for new pages. Additionally, the creator apologizes for being an ass. More additionally, it rains a lot in Seattle.
Updates to ““Cetiya” will be sporadic while Mitsukaiten packs up her apartment, interviews for jobs, and moves to the other end of the country. She apologizes for the interruption of service, but assures the public that, yes, there are legitimate reasons for it. Big, grown-up reasons.
After a 5-month minicomic intermission, the main story in Chirault will be resuming this Monday. The site will be going back to a twice-weekly update schedule.
Silent Pirate hits one year old as of September 6th! It is also wrapping up Chapter 7, and with it the first act of the story!
The first ever Twilight Lady tale, The Secret of Cass Corridor, is now available as a free ebook from Smashwords, iBooks, Barnes and Noble, and other major retailers!
School Spirit just recently passed the 1200 mark.
October 1st will mark the release of the novel “The Only Half Saga: Before the Fall” in Kindle, Nook, Epub and even print! So check out Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Createspace to pick up your poison! Ebooks will be on sale for $.99 throughout the month of October in celebration of Cabal’s birthday – I mean the release of the book, and print copies are $12 plus S&H (514 pages of reading)! After November First prices for Ebooks will be going up to $2.99.
October also marks the end of the “Not Ready to Die” Run and the beginning of “Of Dhampirs and Warlocks” on The Only Half Saga Comic! Join me as we follow a completely different dhampir for a while. Garrett Kelly returns to the fold…older, but not necessarily wiser. He’s still looking for Cabal and on a tip heads to the town of Yew. While it doesn’t seem like the kind of place Cabal would hang out – Garrett finds something interesting that might get him closer to his nemesis…. The fun begins October 10th!
That also means that NRTD will get shuffled to where it SHOULD be in the TOHS timeline (Between Epiphany and Sins) which will happen shortly after the end of NRTD’s run.
New comics for August!
Iron Clad Man
Snow by Night
Demon Hunter Kain
If you’re interested in joining SpiderForest, application season opens again in January. Reapplicants are always welcome, and we look forward to reading your comics come next season.
And now for the August member news.
dream*scar is going on hiatus on August 3rd so that Heather can evict that pesky baby she’s been harboring for several months now. Feel free to keep up with news about the comic’s return or other d*s related things via twitter or facebook.
Willow’s Grove will hit episode 900 next week (which, really, the numbering is kinda’ off as I am finding more of my older strips in either digital copy or hardcopy and rescanning them to put into the archive so the number is actually over 1100, but I’m using the numbering system from the restart in 2008 for the 900 number).
Part 2 of Twilight Lady: OCCUPY Senserealm begins this month. WARNING: Chapter contains cameos by characters from 3 SpiderForest comics – LeyLines, The Only Half Saga, and Dream*scar!
Sunset Grill turned four years old and reached 350 pages in the first week of August. The creator is trying to look like she planned that.
SpiderForest is open for applications until the end of July. If you’ve been thinking about it, now’s the time to get your application in!
The Only Half Saga’s last chapter of Endgame – “Life’s Stupidities” comes to a conclusion on July 4th! With every ending there is a new beginning and TOHS is no exception. Beginning the very next Monday (July 10th), “Not Ready to Die” joins the ranks with a three time a week update schedule! Hope to see you there!
The Online Store for Leylines is OPEN! Whether you’re looking for the ultimate collector’s edition hardcover Volume One, the sleek and money-saving Paperback or you’re in the mood for fun buttons, bookmarks, and [url=http://mokopress.storenvy.com/collections/89007-posters”>posters, the there’s something exciting for you to discover! Explore the Online Store today!
The online store for Malaak, Angel of Peace has been revamped, providing easier access to the books as well as original art and other collector items.
Malaak‘s also been on the international scene this week being a guest at the Hay Festival, with a feature by Paul Gravett.
I just finished putting together School Spirit’s 100th story arc, which has been running on site for about a week or two so far. 100 story arcs is a milestone, isn’t it?
News for SPINE! Chapter 3: Infiltrators is complete. In July, the second book will be on iBookstore and Chapter 4 will begin! Stay tuned for the third apocalypse.